vrijdag 16 maart 2012

Troubled Minds


A little something I had to write. 


I hear you talk when you think I am sleeping. You would sit up in bed and talk to yourself. I wouldn’t want to disturb you, I wouldn’t want you to stop. You can spend hours talking, softly and smoothly, about everything that is on your mind. Everything that is going on in your life, all the stress, heartache and fears that you are having. All the things you cannot talk about with me, with mum, with Emily. I like to think that this is your way of telling me. Hoping that I can hear what you say while I am sleeping, or maybe you secretly hope that I am awake. Maybe you know that I am, you can sense that I am awake. Or maybe I wake up because you are hoping so hard I will hear you.

And I do. I do hear you. And so I know about your stress, your heartaches and your fears. I know how scared you are to fail everyone around you. I know how hard school is for you right now. I know how scared you are of never making it through. I know about that time your heart was crushed into little tiny shards of glass. I also know that was the day you changed into the wreck that you are now. But you never talked about it before, you never said a word about what had happened. All of us noticed how broken you were when you walked through the kitchen door that day. You never looked at any of us and went straight upstairs to our room. Ever since that day you were silent.

Yet here you are, in the middle of the night. Sitting up in our bed in the dark, with the cold air from the open window against your face. Telling your stories, not out loud but loud enough for me to hear. Now I am thinking you are telling them to the wind, hoping it will carry your words away. Far away from you, from here, so they can’t bother you anymore. So they can’t hurt and taunt you like they have been doing for these passed months. It is a relieve to hear you speak again, to hear you say what’s on your mind. Even though it might not be meant for my ears, I couldn’t be more happy to hear your voice again. I hope the wind will take your words and bring them far away from you. To a place where they can be heard and then buried, so they cannot hurt anymore.