woensdag 1 februari 2012

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

I am reading this book atm. So far I like it (: It's somewhat intense, word wise, but very clever.
And I like clever.

Today I read a passage that was very beautiful in my opinion and I would like to share it.



"We need much bigger pockets, I thought as I lay in bed, counting off the seven minutes is takes a normal person to fall asleep. We need enormous pockets, pockets big enough for our families, and our friends, and even the people who aren't on our lists, people we've never met but still want to protect. We need pockets for boroughs and for cities, a pocket that could hold the universe.
                Eight minutes thirty-two seconds . . .
But I knew that there couldn’t be pockets that enormous. In the end, everyone loses everyone. There was no invention to get around that, and so I felt, that night, like the turtle that everything in the universe was on top of.
                Twenty-one minutes eleven seconds . . .
As for the key, I put it on the string next to my apartment key and wore it like a pendant.
As for me, I was awake for hours and hours. Buckminster curled up next to me, and I conjugated for a while so I wouldn’t have to think about things.
                Je suis
                               Tu es
                                               Il/elle est
                                                               Nous sommes
                                                                              Vous ĂȘtes
                                                                                              Ils/ells sont
                                                                                                              Je suis
                                                                                                                             Tu es
                                                                                                                                             Il/elle est
                                                                                                                                                             Nous
I woke up once in the middle of the night, and Buckminster’s paws were on my eyelids. He must have been feeling my nightmares."